Established in the year 1990, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering was the first to offer courses leading to the award of the degree of Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Technology under the M.G. University. Since its inception, the department has been producing computer engineers of high calibre, who make the workforce in numerous blue-chip companies like Google, Microsoft, Infosys, Wipro, Siemens, Oracle, TCS, CTS, and others.
The curriculum is carefully designed to give the students a solid base by urging them to delve into core subjects like System Software, Database Systems, Compiler Design, Computer Organization, Networking and Security, High-Performance Computing, Object-Oriented Design and Modelling, and Artificial Intelligence. The department maintains partnerships and collaborations with leading industries and educational institutions. The multimedia lab setup as a joint project of Super Computer Research Center, IISc, Bangalore, and M.A College of Engineering has ushered in a new era of software development, research, and consultancy. The department has received much appreciation from important national bodies in engineering and technology.
Indian Society of Technical education selected the department to conduct a national level training programme for engineering college teachers on "Emerging Trends in Networking and Mobile Communication." The proposal submitted by the department to the All India Council for Technical Education was accepted and selected four times for awarding grants. The Network Systems Lab was set up under the thrust area project, Modernization of the Database and Multimedia Lab, and the commissioning of the Software Engineering and Cyber security laboratories were done under the MODROBS initiative. To give the students a feel of the industry, they are directed to undertake live projects during their 6th semester and a research-based main project in their final year. This exposes them to real-life scenarios and nurtures in them the confidence, creativity, and the ability to work as a team which is among the most highly desirable traits required to excel in research and industrial environments.
- PEO 1 : Acquire knowledge appropriate to the discipline to outperform in professional education and career.
- PEO 2 : Design, implement and evaluate computer based systems emphasizing quality, security, etiquette, and ethics.
- PEO 3 : Engage in lifelong learning, career enhancement and adapt to latest technologies as well as social needs.
- PEO 4 : Communicate effectively as a team and manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- PEO 5 : Support the society as responsible engineers through application of environmental ethics, reuse, and minimal consumption of resources for sustainable development.
- PSO 1 : Design, develop, implement and analyse algorithms and systems for computational problems using engineering, scientific and mathematical principles.
- PSO 2 : Exert problem solving capabilities using logical reasoning, heuristics, and brainstorming techniques.
- PSO 3 : Develop secure, ethical, and sustainable software systems using modern tools in software carpentry.
- PSO 4 : Compile acquired knowledge to take up challenges and manage critical scenarios, for the betterment of the society.